Saturday, April 11, 2009

Riding Clinic







Today I was privileged to watch a portion of a dressage clinic by Eugene Abello, at Meadow Lake Equestrian Center in Garrard County. He is a gifted coach, (he says the horses are the real teachers). But I disagree, this is one of the most gifted teachers I have ever had the good fortune to see. I learned more in 50 minutes than I have learned in days of other clinics. Everything he taught to the rider, he would turn to us in the chairs and explain and expound on. It starts to make some sense to me, a total neophite in dressage. I think I'll go back tomorrow, it's a real opportunity to learn from such a gifted teacher. He kindly looked at a video of Bear and said he has a super suspension in his trot, and of the canter...AAAh the beautiful canter! The canter has to be developed...He says he really prefers the Thoroughbred canter to any warmblood. He also told me that it is about time to work him at the sitting trot. Man, it's a hard gait to ride on him, he just launches you out of the saddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment