Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Deer paintings

It used to be, when I thought about painting a large painting, I would weigh out how much time it would take to paint all of the details, a daunting task. There had to be a better way, and as I studied the art of painting, I found that the painting is really a work of directing the eye to the subject or main player in the stage set. To accomplish the goal, some players have to be down played by softening the edges or reducing the strength of color. The subject must always be the most colorful, sharpest image within the painting, in order to command the attention it deserves. Painting "loosely" is not my goal. Painting loosely to downplay minor subject matter means a lot to me. Now that I know the difference, I'm much happier in my work. To illustrate this, I have included two paintings painted several decades apart.

White tail doe on a road setting, done 30 years ago!
There's a spike deer in the shadows. 24x30"


Whitetail Doe_11x14 _available_$450
White tail doe next to a stream, landscape, done 5 years ago.
I'm done with painting every leaf as you can see, and am much happier with the results

No comments:

Post a Comment